We used to have the upper class, middle class, lower class, working class. Most of us in America pretended that class wasn’t an issue.
Retired folks living on Social Security and pensions were in a separate category. As elders and retired, they were deemed “entitled” (gasp) to the Social Security and pensions they received. They had, after all, worked long and hard to earn those Social Security and pension checks.
In the current presidential election, Mitt Romney has brought class to the forefront.
The new economy divides all of us into two camps: Winners and Losers. The wealthy and privileged are in the Winner’s Camp, just as the poor and marginalized are in the Loser’s Camp.
But the important distinction for most of us is between the productive and unproductive, skilled and the unskilled, educated and the illiterate, the taxpayers and the other 47 percent.
Contribute to the growth of the economy, and you’re a Winner; depend on the economy for assistance, and you’re a Loser.
Old age and previous military service are irrelevant. So are illness and disability. What are you doing for the economy right this moment? Giving or taking?
Lash yourself to an oar and pull hard. Otherwise, get off the boat. It’s hard to find an oar. There aren’t many to be had. High-tech engines and propellers have eliminated a lot of oars. Never mind. Keep rowing. The only excuse for stopping is death.
If you don’t have an oar, jump over the side and drown.
— John Hayden
- Pew Survey: Lower Classes Grow In Past Four Years (crooksandliars.com)
- Pensions critical to older Americans – and our economy (washingtonpolicywatch.org)
- Romney, wrong man at the wrong time (english.pravda.ru)
- The Federal Reserve Is Systematically Destroying Social Security And The Retirement Plans Of Millions Of Americans (sgtreport.com)
- Editorial: Mitt Romney, Class Warrior (nytimes.com)
- Bernie Sanders Destroys Mitt Romney for Arrogantly Lecturing the 47 Percent (politicususa.com)
- Mitt Romney’s dad was on welfare (dailykos.com)
- Monday Night Video – The Real Mitt Romney Stands Up (polentical.com)
- BLOOMBERG: Mitt Romney Just Lost The Election (businessinsider.com)