I missed a lot of movies during my long life as a wage slave, working usually at night. In retirement, I hope to make up for a lot of missed movies.
Tonight I saw the urban basketball movie, “White Men Can’t Jump,” for the first time ever. What a great story! What trash talk! Male bonding! Best music sound track of a sports movie since “Bull Durham.” Best romantic scenes in a sports movie since “Bull Durham.” I measure all movies by the “Bull Durham” standard.
And now . . . drumroll please . . . “Bull Durham,” the musical.
We’re goin’ to The Show!
I expect great things from this Show. “It’s a long season, and you’ve gotta trust it.” I hear the new “Bull Durham” will open in Atlanta, which is only a state or two away from Durham, N.C.
If “Bull Durham,” the musical is a hit — which it has to be — maybe “White Men Can’t Jump” will be the next stage musical.
Hey, how can “Bull Durham” miss? It won’t be a hit, it’ll be a “dinger,” a “round-tripper,” maybe even a bases-loaded home run.
— John Hayden
- 32 Reasons Why “White Men Can’t Jump” Is The Perfect Movie (entertainably.com)
- They’re making “Bull Durham” into a musical (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Kevin Costner to star in ‘Draft Day’ (andymcd.com)
- Musical “Bull Durham” to get Atlanta debut (bizjournals.com)
- Bull Durham the Musical Is a Real Thing (extramustard.si.com)
- You: ‘Bull Durham’ musical to debut in Atlanta in 2014 (latimes.com)